Eating Disorder Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)Our Eating Disorder Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is designed to provide the increased therapeutic intensity and monitoring seen in a residential program, but in a day treatment setting.
Get Help For Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorders (BED), and OSFEDWe provide partial hospitalization program treatment for men and women with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorders (BED), and OSFED (other specified feeding or eating disorders). We also provide mental health partial hospitalization treatment for clients with depression, anxiety, or PTSD who also have a secondary diagnosis of an eating disorder. The Highland’s expert clinical treatment team has extensive training and experience caring for both eating disorders and co-existing mental health and substance abuse problems. Goals of PHP of The Highlands eating disorder PHP include:
- Assist clients in reducing/ eliminating eating disorder behaviors
- Address and treat underlying issues, as well as any co-occurring mental health concerns.
- Structured monitoring of eating behaviors on a daily basis
- Assist clients achieve a stable normalized weight, using sound nutritional principles
- Medical/psychological/nutritional care individualized to the client’s unique needs
Treatment Components of Our Eating Disorder PHPAll therapy takes place at our beautiful and comfortable treatment center offices, conveniently located in central Birmingham. We do include off-site exposure activities, both 1:1 with a therapist, and in groups. Each client has a personal licensed therapist and licensed dietitian, with our staff psychiatrist overseeing their care. Clients also receive education and therapy from other certified clinicians, as well as adjunct creative arts and movement therapists. Individualized therapy for each client integrates medical, behavioral, and nutritional care. The Highlands Treatment Center takes pride in this three-pronged approach, and the close collaborative relationships between our skilled clinicians. The Highlands eating disorder partial hospitalization program is a seven day a week program. Monday through Friday clients take part in structured and monitored therapy activities from 7:30 AM until approximately 7:00 PM. On Saturday and Sunday, the treatment day lasts six hours. A typical eating disorder PHP day at The Highlands includes:
- Medical evaluation by the nursing staff, including weight and vital signs
- Meal portioning with the treatment staff (individualized meal plan for each client)
- Staff monitored breakfast/lunch/dinner plus snacks (less on weekends)
- Three weekly 1:1 sessions with primary therapist or family therapist
- One to two weekly 1:1 session with dietitian
- Weekly 1:1 session with psychiatrist
- Approximately four daily group therapy sessions, plus additional nutritional and special topics group educations sessions
- Additional individual or group sessions for those with co-occurring disorders such as anxiety, trauma-related symptoms, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Family therapy (provided onsite) and family participation in treatment process, including an intensive Family Week
- Staff assisted outings to provide real-world eating experiences (both individual and group)
- Recovery skills development
- Primary therapists maintains contact with client’s home treatment team and physician, so that when discharged from PHP or IOP, there is a seamless transfer of care
Each client at Castlewood works closely with a primary team comprised of a therapist, dietitian, and staff psychiatrist. Castlewood believes that treating the medical, therapeutic, and nutritional issues of each client at the same time will provide stronger, more effective recovery.